First Steps in Adoption Agencies
Adoption agencies can use First Steps in many ways. Some examples include the following.
- How First Steps can help your organization comply with Hague Accreditation Standards.
- Play portions of First Steps during Information Sessions for prospective adoptive families. First Steps educates viewers on attachment related topics specific to the context of adoption. Have adoption staff facilitate a discussion following the viewing.
- Use First Steps as part of your Post Adoption Services. Play select portions at a seminar you host and have staff facilitate a discussion or split families into groups following the viewing or give time for families to answer the questions presented on the DVD.
- Organize a six week long Post Adoption Support Group where families watch the entire DVD and time is allowed for personal sharing and brainstorming on how to meet the needs of their own child after each viewing.
- Have First Steps copies available at your agency to give, loan or sell to adoptive families who have expressed attachment related concerns with their adopted child.
- Plan a retreat or extended staff meeting to view First Steps as a staff for continuing education.